Thursday, June 7, 2012

Weihnachtsmarkt: Nürnberg

It has slowly become tradition for family members to meet wherever one of us is temporarily stationed, both to see each other and also as an excuse to see a new city or take a short vacation. Past locations have included Rügen, Germany, Washington, D.C., and Bologna, Italy. This year I was the central point and whoever could make it met up in Frankfurt, Germany, traveling from Istanbul, Hamburg, and California.

A few days before Christmas my brother, mother, and I took a two-day trip to Nuremberg. My brother wanted to see the graves of some print-makers who were buried there, and I was drawn to the reputation of the city's Christmas Market. As I have mentioned time and again, I love Christmas Markets, and that was enough of a reason for me to take a family jaunt out to there.

The Christmas Market is as huge as promised, and there was a separate "international market" with products from various other countries and a "children's market" with creepy animatronix Christmas figures. The pictures below are me going crazy on my brother's camera, which is the newer version of my Canon and a gajillion times better. I'm appalled that my own camera is so outdated after only a few years...


The UK Stand in the International Market, that's right, Hot Toddy translates to "Glüh Whisky"

The saddest seller of sweets to ever roam the stands of a Christmas Market. 


I spy...the creepiest stand in the whole market. Can you spot the stand owner among the creepy dolls?


"Ferris Wheel" translate to "Riesenrad", which literally means "Giant Wheel". The sense of irony here is overwhelming...

No really, he's alive and having loads of fun. He just keeps his feelings bottled up inside.

In case anyone had been hoping to forget their colonial past anytime soon...

And last but not least, the cutest Christmas elf replacement I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment