Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dar Es Salaam

May 17, 2012
As mentioned in an earlier post, I was in Dar es Salaam for a conference and I don't have any pictures of that. It would the inside of hotel conference room and people in business suits, pretty typical conference activities. On Friday, however, we had the opportunity to look around the city. Dar es Salaam reminds me a little bit of Istanbul when I was a child, although slightly more difficult since I don't speak Swahili. Many of the people's attitudes, the buildings, even the drivers felt very familiar.

People also kept driving to sell us stuff and almost all of them asked if we were Peace Corps volunteers. Apparently a lot of them transit through Dar...

A "market", which consisted of many stalls set up along a sidewalk.

The two banana sellers wanted me to take a picture but when I went to get their emails so I could send it to them, it turned out they didn't have email accounts. She tried to give me her phone number, which doesn't really work for sending photos...if any of you are ever in Dar es Salaam, please print a copy of the picture and take it to the ladies.



Oh my gosh, I love the movie Cars, too!!


Rice by the bushel...

In case, you know, you need a random sign or license plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment