Sunday, June 17, 2012

Kigali, Rwanda: Market

May 5, 2012

I know I've mentioned this before, but I love markets. Love love love. So after ringing in Cinco de Mayo the night before with a German, two Americans, and a Rwanda, I popped on a motortaxi with another American and a Dane and headed over to the Kimirongo Market on the east side of the city.

I have NEVER been on a motorcycle and starting my first day in Rwanda I had to ride a motorcycle at least twice a day, as it's really the only way of transportation to and from my office. This Africa trip was definitely an exercise in saying the words "I've never done that before!".

Sweet sweet morning for a motorcycle ride...

An example of the moto-taxi drivers, waiting for customers outside the market

As far as African market goes, this was was very organized with every stall arranged by product type and the stalls in nice orderly rows.


One of my favorite African snacks on the ground: sugar cane. Yum yum!

Cellphones, cards, covers, and general repair services...

Fresh meat...

Need a dress? Buy the fabric...


 Then deliver it down the aisle to the tailor!






Tiny fried fish from the lakes...

Fresh fish!

Some of the fresh produce I purchased! Mmmm...passion fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment