Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pride cometh...

I *love* to cook, but I always want my effort and costs to be proportional to the time it takes me to eat and the level of enjoyment I get from eating it. I stopped trying to make Vietnamese and Thai food at home because they required so much time and so many ingredients. By the time I buy chilis, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, hosin sauce, fish sauce, shrimp paste, coconut milk, tofu, vegetables and rice noodles and make the broth that is then used to make the curry, I could have purchased and eaten food at a Thai restaurant three times over. I appreciate the time and skill it takes to make such food now, and I'm more than happy to pay someone else for their culinary artwork.

WELL. Much to my dismay, my favorite types of popcorn (caramel, sugared, anything with a sweet coating...) all require an hour of baking after cooking. An extra hour?? Not only is that extra time that I have to wait, it's also extra time where I'm using energy to keep the oven going for a snack that I will likely devour within five minutes. Then I have a total flash of genius: Add the sugary coating before the kernels are popped. When I pop popcorn, the oil I use strongly flavors the popcorn. So, following this logic, the sugar (or spices or whatever) should, too. Completely pleased with my stunning culinary prowess and creative genius, I try it, thinking I've revolutionized the process of popcorn making. The result?

Plain 'ole, get it at your local fair or movie theater kettle corn.

Of course. My flash of genius was in fact a re-flash of genius expressed by someone a hundred years ago and then spread around the world. Hahaha. Oh well. It still tasted fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment