Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Pie


So I bought a pre-made graham cracker crust but I had extra filling left over so I made more crust and I thought it was fantastic! So I've included directions for both...

Pumpkin Pie Filling

Ingredients
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp  ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Beat eggs in another bowl.
4. Mix pumpkin and dry ingredients into eggs
5. Slowly stir in evaporated milk
6. Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes
7. Reduce oven temp to 350F and bake for another 40-50 minutes. You don't want to overbake the pie because it will start to crack, but you also don't want to check by inserting a knife because it totally ruins the pie. I recommend just eye-ing it between 40-50 minutes and making a decision.
8. Cool for two hours before serving. You can refrigerate it and serve it later, but from what I understand the crust gets soggy. Some chefs recommend popping it in the oven again for 10 minutes before serving it and apparent that fixes the sogginess. I didn't have that problem with the store bought one.

Graham Cracker Crust
 Ingredients
1.5 cup squashed graham crackers (or graham cracker crumbs. Apparently they sell that now. LAZY)
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar

1. Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar
2. Add butter and mix until it's all sticky
3. Press into pan
4. Here's the tricky part. Some people recommend baking for 10-15 minutes while others say to refrigerate for two hours. I did both and it still kind of fell off the edges. I could only get it to sit normally on the base. So good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment