2 cups flour
2/3 butter or shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1.5 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons softened butter
1. Set oven to 450F
2. Combine flour, butter and salt with a pastry blender or fork. You're supposed to do it until they're "pea-sized balls". I have no idea what that is. I just sort of mixed it together until it was in little crumbles.
3. Add cold water one spoonful at a time.You want to work the dough as you add the flour WITH YOUR HANDS until it's "doughy" and roll-able.*
4. Roll out a little more than half the dough and line the pie plate. Trim pastry to fit the plate
5. Combine filling ingredients except for butter.**
6. Fill pie with filling
7. Dot butter on top of filling
8. Roll other half of dough out. Brush the edge of the bottom half of the dough in the pan with water. Put top half over and crimp the edges together. Poke holes in the top, or cut out pretty shapes to let steam escape while baking.***
9. Bake for 10 minutes
10. Turn oven down to 350F and bake for another 45 minutes
11. Let it cool for an hour before serving. I HIGHLY recommend serving it with vanilla ice cream
*The water will just sit around if you try to use the fork. Dough is dirty. Your hands will get dirty. You counter top will get dirty. Get use to it. This doesn't take too much water so be careful.
** I actually didn't have lemon zest so I just ignored that. It was fine without it, but it might add to it if you have some. There were also some wankers on the website where I got the recipe who went on and on about how it was "so much cinnamon the apples were brown". EXCUSE ME, that is apple pie. If you don't like it, make something else!
***I had serious issues with the dough because it kept falling apart and I had to re-roll it. It might have been that I used 1 tablespoon too much water...who knows